This is kind of negative so if you want only happy thoughts don' t read. I asked the group to share any good or bad things with dealership repairs. I am new to motorcycles, but have lots of new cars. Most of my experiences have been positive, especially with new cars. XL883L purchased April 2009, cover on battery keeps popping open. Stop in Dealer in Glen Alen, VA, charged $20 for a new latch. What!!! Isn't there a warranty. I would have never have had to pay for such a new thing on a new auto I have had only 4 months

Views: 35

Replies to This Discussion

H - D = Hundred Dollars
I love Harley but hate dealers... some guys are pretty cool, but in the end they will always hose you.... your best bet is to pick up the repair manual and start turning a wrench, im not sure what kind of warrenty they come with, i always bought used, but my guess is that they pretty much only cover the drive train
Know what you mean, my dealer installed my V&H pipes, about 4 or 5 months later, while shining her, I noticed one of the nuts on the flange was missing. They charged me 40 bucks to install another and then had the nerve to say "we did'nt charge you for the nut, just labor." hah!!!!!! Last time I go there, now.
Well, got the sportster back, one month later I was going straight through a green light and someone turned in front of me. All of this was told to me, I was knocked senseless and only remembered four blocks back. I need an new motorcycle!! Went to the import dealership with injuries and was ignored as I looked at the bikes I was interested in buying. Went to the notorious dealer and was greeted as I entered the door, helped and given literature. Harley won again!!
Went to the page of three dealers, found bike I was interested in, went to the dealer, bought the FXST 2004 Softail.
Harry,
I fortunatly haven't had to take my bike into the dealer for any repairs yet. But, I spent a good deal of money, on an extended warranty for my bike. So, I can see why something like that would piss you off.

To be honest I find it hard to believe that you take anything to a dealer.....They are always more expensive.....

Small neighaborhood shops will always be cheaper and typically do a better job. They have to fight to keep people coming back..... Dealerships will always have business

Just the natuer of the industry!

i recently had my 79 sportster repainted and when i went to put it back together some of the wiring got messed up so i had La Crosse Area Harley pick it up to get it running and they charged me for 1.5 hours to move 1 wire and 1 hour of labor to put 1 pipe, 1 side cover and bolt on the rear fender. 2.5 hours of labor when it only took them about 45 minutes....$250 later it still didnt run right, they had some wires messed up so i dropped it back off and they wouldnt do anything without me paying them more...if you are ever in the western wisconsin area dont go to LAX harley go to Al Muth they are much better
only thing with that is a good number of the smaller shops wont touch harleys because they dont have the certification on them. i took mine to a small dealer in my area and all they would do was bring it in the shop so it wasnt left outside over night but other than that they said they couldnt touch it

Matthew JD Thompson said:

To be honest I find it hard to believe that you take anything to a dealer.....They are always more expensive.....

Small neighaborhood shops will always be cheaper and typically do a better job. They have to fight to keep people coming back..... Dealerships will always have business

Just the natuer of the industry!

Im a PHD certified mechanic and will NEVER work for a Harley dealership. The wh*** saying of HD standing for HUNDRED DOLLAR has never been more true then when you step foot in a dealership. I've got a 1983 FLT that is in the process of being redone and I needed rocker shaft nuts. I wanted brass and the local dealership wanted 25 A PIECE!!! FOR A NUT!!! NOT HAPPENING!!! Found out a Fastenal store had just opened up and so I went and browsed and bought all replacement hardware, in brass, for 57 dollars!!!! All the hardware is grade 8 and very affordable. To all the builders out there-Lowe's, Menard's, and Fastenal are the best places I have found for hardware.

Keep the rubber side down!!!!!!!!!!!

RSS

PB Social

Subscribe to PowerBlock Blog via RSSLike PowerBlock on FacebookFollow PowerBlock on Twitter

© 2014   Created by Gearhead.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service